Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A simple lined, pleather messenger bag made up of scraps in approximately three hours. Measures 13.5” H x 10” W x 3” D, specifically made to fit my wallet, phone, notebook, and water bottle without being bulky. I have decoration for the flap planned, but I’m holding off until other current projects are finished since those and this bag are part of an ensemble for Dragon Con, and the other pieces are more important at the moment.

Monday, August 11, 2014

12th century based Anglo-Norman bliaut and underdress. The underdress is white, cotton broadcloth with cotton gauze facings on the neck and sleeves. The bliaut is sky blue, cotton sateen with burgundy, cotton broadcloth neck facing and sleeve lining. The facings of both were finished by hand, and the sleeves of the underdress are hand embroidered. The gold details of the belt were also embroidered by hand. This garb was made in two weeks (the embroidery took the most time) and worn to the Royal University of Meridies on July 19, 2014. Linen would have been a more period accurate fabric, but, with time and budget considerations, cotton was the best substitute as a comfortable, breathable, and machine washable fabric.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Midsummer Night’s Dream | Design Studio 2
The class was assigned to create a costume design concept for that was given no specifications or limitations for design. The only requirements were that we were to render for six characters using Photoshop.

Midsummer takes two groups with reputations for power, the Athenians and the Fair Folk, and shows them in ridiculous situations. From this idea, I designed the costumes to be beautiful and serious, rather than comic, to let the humor in the actions and situations of the characters stand out. I based the Athenians’ costumes on historic Greek but with unrealistic elements such as giving the workers pants and non-historic draped tunics. The fairies were inspired by mythic creatures of nature that appear to come from the earth itself. The more powerful these creatures are, the more like humans they appear. The lesser fairies have draped outfits that seem to have been made from moss, cobwebs, and other natural materials. The King and Queen have structured garments to contrast with the draping of the Greeks. They too seem to have been made from nature, but are more refined and constructed.


The Road Weeps, The Well Runs DryPrint Cotton Overdye

The Road Weeps, The Well Runs Dry
Print Cotton Overdye

Ti-Jean and His Brothers - Fall 2013 - Cricket Vest, Gorget, and Skirt
Draping, fitting, patterning, and completion.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Starting from the second week of January, I acted as an assistant to the costume designer Yao Chen for the 2014 Spring Dance Concert at USF. My work included communicating with the dancers about fitting schedules, attending costume fittings, adapting to the organization culture of the costume shop, varied costume construction tasks, and outlining and communicating tasks for the run crew.


More Information

Monday, December 30, 2013

Work in progress for a costume top for a belly dancer. The overlay is just there for me to decide if I like that placement. The actual texture will be like the photo on the right. I will be using the dragon scale embroidery technique created by Michele Carragher for her work on HBO’s Game of Thrones.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Trailer for the USF Theatre production of Ti-Jean and His Brothers. The cricket costume I built is visible at 0:01, 0:02, 0:14-0:17, and in the background in many other scenes. Sadly the cuts are very fast. I built the vest, skirt, and gorget. The headpiece and unitard were built by other members of the crew.

Author: Derek Walcott | Director and Set Designer: Henry Muttoo | Costume Designer: Yao Chen

More Information

Monday, October 7, 2013

Skirt (modeled by me though the actor’s waist is three inches smaller than mine) nearly complete. Been passed on to lab students for closure and a label, then it will come back to me for embellishments, then it will be sent off to an airbrusher. Made from orange corduroy that was sprayed with chocolate floral spray, car headliner lining the front and back panels, gaberdine lining the side panels, and black velvet.

Thursday, September 26, 2013
Completed pattern pieces for the Cricket. The mock-ups were too heavily marked to use as they were, and some of that was because the outer portion of the vest has armor like pieces. The designer also made some shape changes to the skirt, so I made paper pattern rather than work straight from the mock-ups.

Completed pattern pieces for the Cricket. The mock-ups were too heavily marked to use as they were, and some of that was because the outer portion of the vest has armor like pieces. The designer also made some shape changes to the skirt, so I made paper pattern rather than work straight from the mock-ups.